Re: Oracle webagent spawning multiple processes

From: Wilson Zhang <wzhang_at_kbg.com>
Date: 1997/06/03

Sandeep Deshmukh <deshmukh_at_buymedia.com> wrote in article <5mvlq3$kc8_at_news.informix.com>...
> In article <01bc6f94$a86cb230$a49433cf_at_gr03>, "Wilson Zhang"
 <wzhang_at_kbg.com> writes:

> > > 2) Why a new process is spawned/forked if the orig connection still
 exists? Why
> > > does the reload not use the same connection to the pl/sql block?
> >
> > This is a webserver concept. Web server doesn't maintain state. Every
> > time the web server talks to Oracle, it will call one of the WRB
> > process(thread) to create a new connection with Oracle.
> >

> Wilson, Thanks for the info.
> I did a Yahoo-search for web agent to find an FAQ section where it says
 that
> OWA (Oracle Web Agent) is CGI-BIN program which does spawn a process for
 each request
> while WRB doesn't. Can anybody expand on this? How does WRB manage to
 reuse the
> connection? And how to setup WRB? I suppose you need Webserver 2.1 or
greater!?

[Quoted] You are alredy using the WRB if you are using OWA. That's the default setting. Look at the URL when you call up the PL/SQL in your database, does OWA appear in the line? (Although Oracle said in its manual that you could config OWA to be a CGI, I have never done that and to be honest I don't how.)
WRB is available since WebServer2.0. Go to your WebServer admin page(usually at port 9999 on NT, 8888 on Solaris), there's a section to config WRB. You can also config SSI, JAVA, etc. Check out your svradmin.app and <listener)name>admin.app, you will see the current WRB setting.

> > > 3) If there is a config issue where can we change this?
> > >

> > I've noticed the speed issue in my installation also. But it seemed
 more
> > of a Oracle tuning issue. After I tuned Oracle server, the botttleneck
 is
> > gone.
> >
> We do know that more indexes would help the performance. But, at this
 time what is
> really slow is a display of a static screen. The content of the display
 come from
> a PL/SQL block with sequence of htp.print() statements. This should be
 very fast
> since no Oracle query is involved, just a connection to Oracle and
 executing the pl/sql
> Thanks for the help and any furthur details on tuning/setup issue.
> /sandeep

Try to run that procedure using a sqlplus session and use owa_util.showpage to see the generated page in sqlplus. If the performance is the same, then you know you got a performance tuning issue.

Wilson Received on Tue Jun 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message