Processing Text larger than 2000 characters

From: Greg Cobb <gpbcobb_at_btinternet.com>
Date: 1997/06/01

I would like to be able to read a text file using the TEXT_IO package in Forms 4.5. However, each line of the file could be larger than 2000 characters, currently the maximum allowed for VARCHAR2 datatypes. Some lines could potentially be approximately 3500 characters. I want to be able to read each line and process it in turn, parsing it into separate fields using the SUBSTR function. However, I cannot use the LONG datatype since this would not allow me to use any such character functions. The TEXT_IO package has no function other than GET_LINE, so I cannot even read in a portion of the line at a time.

Please email direct at:

gpbcobb_at_btinternet.com

Cheers,

Gregory P.B. Cobb Received on Sun Jun 01 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message