Re: Data Migration Wizard???

From: Jim Swanson <jxs_at_stevensons.co.nz>
Date: 1997/05/29

Matt Southcott wrote:

> Randall J. Parr wrote:
>
> > I have seen references to an Oracle Data Migration Wizard
> > which makes porting Access db data AND SCHEMA's to Oracle easy.
> >
> > Does anyone know where I might find out more about this OR SIMILAR
> > utilities???
>
> I also had the same problem and found that the SQL-Loader is by far
> the best way to go. You get much more control over the data. Just
> create the tables and feilds then load them using sql-loader.
> SQL-Loader is extremely fast and easy to use. I loaded over 500,000
> records in 2min 14 sec from a text file created by Access 97. It will
> also inform you of any errors you may have.

I've used Oracle's Loreto tool. We got our copy from the Developer Programme CD but it's available on their Alliance web site too.

It's pretty-much unsupported but it seems to work well on straightforward Access to Oracle upsizes. We do have one set of Access databases that I'm having some problems getting into Oracle though. They're really nastily inter-tangled and use lots of table attachments and stuff. I've currently got an Access guru cleaning them up and I'll have another try.

I like Loreto because it takes care of a whole bunch of conversion/integrity issues like:

- Access cascading deletes ==> Oracle db triggers
- Access "autonumber" columns ==> Oracle sequences
- Illegal (to Oracle) column names in Access ==> Legal Oracle names

Talk to your local Oracle people or check out ...

http://alliance.oracle.com/3convkit.htm

... if you want to find out more or download a copy.

rgds,

Jim.

Jim Swanson
Business Analyst
W. Stevenson and Sons Ltd
Cnr Paul Stevenson Place & East Tamaki Road
Auckland, NEW ZEALAND
Phone   +64.9.273-1000  DDI     +64.9.273-1052
Fax     +64.9.273-1097  http://www.stevensons.co.nz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" - Raul Duke/HST