Re: Oracle Vs Access

From: Bob Acker <program_at_icanect.net>
Date: 1997/05/28

Karen Ho wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm working on a project to possibly convert a MS Access database on an
> IIS Server to an Oracle databse. I have a couple of questions if
> anyone can help. I'd greatly appreciate.
> 1. What is the costs involved?
> 2. How difficult will the conversion be?
> 3. How long does it take?
> 4. What exactly is the implementation plan?
> Thanks,
> kh

Converting the database is not difficult. You just need to define your tables with the same structure as your access tables at the SQL> prompt or using Enterprise Manager [This assumes you already have a default oracle database set up by the Oracle installer.]

You need to get the ODBC driver for your oracle version from the oracle.com
website, then connect access via odbc and insert your data into the oracle tables.

Now, are you going to develop an application using the oracle toolset, or continue to use your access app, via odbc?

Best wishes!

Bob
Programming Resources, Inc.
S. Fla. Received on Wed May 28 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message