UTL_FILE, first attempts at using!

From: Larry Jones <lljo_at_chevron.com>
Date: 1997/05/27

[Quoted] Current Environment:

[Quoted] 	SQL*Plus: Release 3.3.2.0.2
[Quoted] 	Oracle7 Server Release 7.3.2.3.0
	PL/SQL Release 2.3.2.3.0
	Unix (Solaris) Server
	Windows 95 client

I am wanting to write flat files to my PC workstation, using this utility, and now I am finding out that I got my hopes up by reading a paper from the recent Oracle conference. It led me to believe that I could do this, but my DBA locally says "nope".

I assume the problem is b/c we run Oracle on a Unix box, so they can't set the required path parameter to something like "C:\TEMP", or whatever, since that is not valid on the Unix side of things. Can this parameter be set for the client side, or is it only a server side setting?

I want to use PL/SQL through a SQL*PLUS window on the PC, to write output directly to a text file on my PC.

Right now I can do it with the old temp file/spool command, but I've been waiting for something like this from Oracle for a long time, and I thought it was here.

Does anyone know if this can be done?

Thanks, Received on Tue May 27 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message