Re: Forms 4.5 question

From: Alex Heney <HENEYA_at_ENTCF3.agw.bt.co.uk>
Date: 1997/05/23

On Fri, 23 May 1997 03:38:44 GMT, dawson_at_sgi.net (Ray Dawson) wrote:

>On 22 May 1997 20:21:54 GMT, "Miles Thomas"
><thomasm_at_"at".logica."dot".com> wrote:
>
>>The help file gives the necessary parameters.
>>
>>Beware, though, on Windows, certain properties cannot be changed, even tho
>>forms has the property to change them (a MS Windows limitation). This may
>>be one of them.
>>
>>Ray Dawson <dawson_at_sgi.net> wrote in article
>><Pine.SOL.3.95.970522134811.18089A-100000_at_scorpio.bv.sgi.net>...
>>> How do I use set_item_property (dynamically, within a PL/SQL trigger) to
>>> set the foreground, or background color of a text item?
>>>
>>> To be clear, I don't want to do this within the property sheet. I want to
>>> accomplish it programatically in a dynamic fashion.
>
>I've looked through the help file quite a bit and I found where it
>tells me that the background color can be set, but I've been unable to
>find where it tells the name of the specific property I need to set.
>Could someone please point me to the specific area of the help file in
>which I should be looking? Or, can anyone give me an example of how
>this can be coded if it really is possible?

I don't know what Mr Thomas was talking about.

You can only set the complete visual attribute set for an item. You have to create named visual attributes with the properties you require for foreground and background colours. These have to be created at design time, so you have to know all possible combinations which may be required at that time. You can then assign any of these dynamically to an item at run-time. If you want to set just a specific instance of an item in a repeating block, then use the Display_Item built-in, otherwise use the Set_Item_Property built-in, where the property is VISUAL_ATTRIBUTE.

--
The above posting represents the personal opinions of the author and
is not to be taken as official (or unofficial) policy or opinions of

Alex Heney, Living in the Global Village.