Re: Procedure Builder 1.5.6.7.0 are compatible with PL/SQL 2.3.2.0 ?

From: Mark Miller <mmille10_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1997/05/22

=EE.=E6.=EF=D3=C9=D0=CF=D7 wrote:
> =

> Hello!
> I ask to help to me to understand a problem:
> =

> Procedure Builder ver.1.5.6.7.0, PL/SQL v1.2.1.3
> are compatible with Oracle7 Workgroup Server 7.3.2.2.1
> and PL/SQL v2.3.2.0 ?
> =

> Procedure Builder SQL*PLUS 3.3
> =

> create procedure TEST is create procedure TEST as
> begin ^ begin ^
> ... ...
> end; end;
> =

> I shall be grateful to them, who will answer.
> If not it is difficult, I ask to answer by the letter.
> =

> N.Osipov
> Yamburg,Urengoj,Russia
> nfosip_at_tsi.ru

I don't know if you just wanted a reply by e-mail. I am replying to you through e-mail, and posting to the newsgroup.

I have the same version of Procedure Builder as you do. This version is compatible with PL/SQL 1.0 only. For this reason, I often have the situation where something I write will not compile on Procedure Builder, because it lacks features of PL/SQL 2.0, but the same code will work if I compile directly on the Oracle7 server.

As you may know, Procedure Builder has two domains: local, and server. =

If you write or load a program into Program Units, under Object Navigator, it will attempt to compile the procedure locally. In this case, your procedure must be PL/SQL 1.0-compatible for it to compile.

What I do when I use PL/SQL 2.0 features is I drag my procedure icon or icons (in the case of multiple procedures) down from Program Units into the Stored Program Units section, under the owner I want to store them in. For example, if I want to store the procedure under the user SCOTT/TIGER on the server, I open the SCOTT user under Database Objects, and drag my procedure icons down to Stored Program Units. If the program is syntactically correct, it will compile and run fine, on the server, even if it doesn't compile under Procedure Builder. The big thing you lose by using PL/SQL 2.0 features is the ability to step through the procedure in the debugger.

Oracle says in its documentation that they are planning a PL/SQL 2.0-compatible version of Procedure Builder in the future. I don't know if they have come out with it yet, but I hope so. I use PL/SQL 2.0 features too much to justify using my current version of Procedure Builder for much longer. Does anyone know if they have upgraded it yet? I would be interested to know.

As for your create procedure comparisons between Procedure Builder and SQL*Plus, I'm not sure what you are asking. You should be able to use either the "is" or the "as" clause when creating a procedure, no matter which tool you are using.

---Mark
mmiller_at_nyx.net Received on Thu May 22 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message