Re: Is anyone out there running Oracle 7.3 on OpenVMS?

From: Frank Rodgers <frodgers_at_baytreeassociates.com>
Date: 1997/05/22

--------------DE41104CFA91E1A8FD5E1BE9

Steve wrote:

> Does anyone know of an email list for this (other than comp*db stuff)?
>
> "Brian M. Biggs" <bbiggs_at_cincom.com> wrote:
>
> >Shawn Ramsey <shawn.ramsey_at_attws.com> wrote in article
> ><3360FC5D.4BA_at_attws.com>...
> >
> >Shawn,
> >
> >> Is anyone out there running Oracle 7.3 on OpenVMS 7.x?
> >
> >We are running Oracle 7.3.2.3 on OpenVMS 7.1. This is a new
 installation,
> >and we have not upgraded from any previous version.
> >
> >> I need to know if we are the only ones on this planet dumb enough
> >> even try to attempt this at home--build a data warehouse on
 OpenVMS.
> >> Oracle cannot tell us how many people are running this combination
 of of
> >> Database/OS.
> >
> >We're not running a data warehouse, but we are doing development
 under
> >OpenVMS 7.1 against Oracle 7.3.2.3.
> >
> >We have run into a few problems so far. We're trying to use shared
 images
> >and are having problems. We are calling an executable shared image,
 which
> >performs a connect to the database, from a main program. It executes
 OK,
> >but when it returns from the shared image, the connect information
 that
> >gets set up by the shared image is lost. We are unable to query the
> >database (fails with 1012 error) from the main program. This happens
 with
> >both Oracle's sample Pro*C program, and our own Pro*COBOL programs.
> >
> >As others have mentioned, we are also experiencing long delays with
 SQL*Net
> >V2. It never does start successfully for us. When it does its first

> >'Connecting to (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=ORCL))' it just sits there

> >forever. If I CTRL-C, everything seems OK (I can connect via
 SQL*Net,
> >etc.) but that's a lousy solution. I haven't gotten any word back
 from
> >Oracle yet. Others in the newsgroup said that 7.3 SQL*Net is slower,
 but
> >it should at least come back to me eventually at startup!
> >
> >> Please, help me. I would like to build up a network of
 individuals, so
> >> we can support each other with infomation obut each of our
 problems.

> >I would be interested in this also.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Brian
> >
> >--
> >Brian M. Biggs http://www.cincom.com/
> >Cincom Systems, Inc. voice: (513)677-7661
> >
> >* To reply to me via e-mail, just remove the leading underscore from
> > my return address. I had to do this to cut down on the number of
> > spammers pulling my address from UseNet postings and sending me
> > junk e-mail.

 One of our clients is using Oracle 7.3 on OpenVMS 7.1 for an Oracle Financials and Oracle Manufacturing Implementation. They are having loads of trouble and aren't getting very good support from Oracle -- no surprise.

--------------DE41104CFA91E1A8FD5E1BE9

<HTML>
Steve wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Does anyone know of an email list for this (other than comp*db stuff)?

<P>"Brian M. Biggs" &lt;bbiggs_at_cincom.com> wrote:

<P>>Shawn Ramsey &lt;shawn.ramsey_at_attws.com> wrote in article
<BR>>&lt;3360FC5D.4BA_at_attws.com>...
<BR>>
<BR>>Shawn,
<BR>>
<BR>>> Is anyone out there running Oracle 7.3 on OpenVMS 7.x?
<BR>>
<BR>>We are running Oracle 7.3.2.3 on OpenVMS 7.1.&nbsp; This is a new
installation,
<BR>>and we have not upgraded from any previous version.
<BR>>
<BR>>> I need to know if we are the only ones on this planet dumb enough
<BR>>> even try to attempt this at home--build a data warehouse on OpenVMS. <BR>>> Oracle cannot tell us how many people are running this combination of of
<BR>>> Database/OS.
<BR>>
<BR>>We're not running a data warehouse, but we are doing development under
<BR>>OpenVMS 7.1 against Oracle 7.3.2.3.
<BR>>
<BR>>We have run into a few problems so far.&nbsp; We're trying to use
shared images
<BR>>and are having problems.&nbsp; We are calling an executable shared image, which
<BR>>performs a connect to the database, from a main program.&nbsp; It executes OK,
<BR>>but when it returns from the shared image, the connect information that
<BR>>gets set up by the shared image is lost.&nbsp; We are unable to query the
<BR>>database (fails with 1012 error) from the main program.&nbsp; This happens with
<BR>>both Oracle's sample Pro*C program, and our own Pro*COBOL programs.
<BR>>
<BR>>As others have mentioned, we are also experiencing long delays with
SQL*Net
<BR>>V2.&nbsp; It never does start successfully for us.&nbsp; When it does its first
<BR>>'Connecting to (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=ORCL))' it just sits there <BR>>forever.&nbsp; If I CTRL-C, everything seems OK (I can connect via SQL*Net,
<BR>>etc.) but that's a lousy solution.&nbsp; I haven't gotten any word back from
<BR>>Oracle yet.&nbsp; Others in the newsgroup said that 7.3 SQL*Net is slower, but
<BR>>it should at least come back to me eventually at startup!
<BR>>
<BR>>> Please, help me.&nbsp; I would like to build up a network of individuals,
so
<BR>>> we can support each other with infomation obut each of our problems.
<BR>>
<BR>>I would be interested in this also.
<BR>>
<BR>>Thanks,
<BR>>Brian
<BR>>
<BR>>--
<BR>>Brian M. Biggs&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<A HREF="http://www.cincom.com/">http://www.cincom.com/</A>
<BR>>Cincom Systems, Inc.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; voice:
(513)677-7661
<BR>>
<BR>>* To reply to me via e-mail, just remove the leading underscore from
<BR>>&nbsp; my return address.&nbsp; I had to do this to cut down on the
number of
<BR>>&nbsp; spammers pulling my address from UseNet postings and sending me
<BR>>&nbsp; junk e-mail.</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;One of our clients is using Oracle 7.3 on OpenVMS 7.1 for an Oracle Financials and Oracle Manufacturing Implementation.&nbsp; They are having loads of trouble and aren't getting very good support from Oracle -- no surprise.
<BR></HTML>

--------------DE41104CFA91E1A8FD5E1BE9-- Received on Thu May 22 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message