Re: Installing 16-bit Oracle products on Win95

From: Ian Sparkes <sparkes_at_sprintmail.com>
Date: 1997/05/21

I can explain EXACTLY what your problem is.

Yes, both 16 & 32 bit codes will coexist on Win95 & NT.

NEVER, try to install 16 & 32 bit code in the same Oracle Home. If you let the tool chose the defaults you will end up with 2 homes "Orawin95" and "Orawin".

If you have already mixed them then the only option is to remove everything and start again. I have seen this problem at customers sites and the last time (Last week actually) this is how I repaired it.

  1. Take backups of any customized files or other stuff you want to keep
  2. From the OS -- Delete all Oracle home directory trees.
  3. Reinstall
  4. Depending on how badly things were messed up - Now using the Oracle installer, 32 bit, remove all Oracle products. This will clean up the repository for the 32 bit code
  5. Reinstall 16 & 32 code in separate Oracle Homes (as mentioned above)