Row-locking Problem in MS-Access via ODBC

From: Michael Carmack <mcarmack_at_freenet.columbus.oh.us>
Date: 1997/05/19

I have a user who is experiencing an odd row-locking problem in Access hitting my Oracle 7.1 server. Specifically, Access reports that a row is being held by another user, when in fact this is not the case (e.g. it happens when there are no other users hitting the tables!) The problem is intermittent and next to impossible to reproduce, or so I'm told; it just pops up without warning, and will disappear on its own after a time.

I cannot find anything wrong with the row-locking behavior of the database or the ODBC driver. Admittedly I am not an ODBC guru of any sort, but I suspect the problem is in how the Jet database engine is interpreting the row locking. Can anyone offer any insight or advice?

Specific Configuration:

  • Oracle 7.1.5 server running on Alpha OpenVMS
  • MS Access 2.0 running on Windows 3.1 client
"Villains, I say to you now:       |   Mike Carmack
 KNOCK OFF ALL THAT EVIL!"         |   Vulcan Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
    S P O O N !!!!    - The Tick   |   mcarmack_at_freenet.columbus.oh.us