Re: Loading data from Access to Oracle?

From: John Stathakis <jlstath_at_mail.icon.co.za>
Date: 1997/05/17

-Varad Acharya wrote:
->
-> Steve Corbett wrote:
-> >
-> > Scott Siedler wrote:
-> > >
-> > > Is there a way of reading MS*Access data (*.dbf) into Oracle
tables? Are
-> > > there any tools on the market that are made for getting data from
other
-> > > vendors' databases into Oracle? Any help or suggestions would be
greatly
-> > > appreciated.
-> > >
-> > > Scott
-> >
-> > i asked this question awhile ago - no response
-> > you could have at least acknowledged my typo *.dbf instead of
*.mdb :)
-> >
-> > steve.
->
-> Here's one way to do it.(MS-Access 2.0)
->
-> Launch Access.
-> Open desired database.
-> From the File menu choose Export
-> Choose SQL Database from Data destination list
-> Choose desired table
-> Specify table name for ORACLE (case sensitive)
-> Choose Oracle database to load to (assuming you have an ODBC
connection
-> to the ORACLE db)
-> Login to ORACLE
->
-> and that's it.

I've just completed a module which downloads MS Access data into Oracle regularly. I've built an MS Access database which links to both the Oracle and the Access tables. A query in Access transfers the data from Access to Oracle. There were performance and validation issues, so I settled on exporting to a text file, then loading them into Oracle using SQL*LOADER, this works much better, as you get a detailed report back on what was accepted, and what failed.

Regards,
John Received on Sat May 17 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message