Re: Installing 16-bit Oracle products on Win95

From: Steve Cosner <stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu>
Date: 1997/05/16

In article <5lhlcm$p2p_at_login.freenet.columbus.oh.us>, Michael Carmack <mcarmack_at_freenet.columbus.oh.us> wrote:

>Am I crazy, or do 16-bit Oracle products simply not live as god neighbors
>with their 32-bit cousins on a Win95 box? Anytime I try to install the
>16-bit ODBC drivers or the 16-bit Dev2000 (v1.2) into my 32-bit Orawin95
>Oracle Home, it somehow marks it as a "WINDOWS" Oracle Home instead of an
>"Orawin95" Oracle Home and future 32-bit installations refuse to continue!
>I've searched countless .ini files and the entire registry looking for
>what happened, but I cannot figure it out.
>
>Does anyone have any idea what's going on? I would very much like to get
>these two tools working in my Win95 sessions, it's a pain to drop back
>down to Win 3.1 just to use Dev2000. (And no, buying 32-bit versions is
>not an option right now for budget reasons.)

[Quoted] No, I have no idea what's going on. I am no expert in installing these things, but...

On my W95 pc at home, I have:

   PO7 for W95 (you can't run PO7 for W31 on a W95 platform).    Forms 4.5.6.5.5 (16-bit, trial version) Got this from a cd in the

      back of a book I bought.  I just installed it into a different
      (orawin31) directory.
   Forms 4.5.7.1.2 (32-bit) from D2K 1.3.2 cd installed in Orawin95
      directory.

I can even have both developers running at the same time, and both are connected to the PO7 database. Both runforms work fine, too.

I think your key is to put the 16-bit things into a different directory.

Regards,
Steve Cosner

Try out QA, a dynamic data utility form. Quick display and update access to any table. http://members.aol.com/stevec5088 Received on Fri May 16 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message