Re: Deploying Developer 2000 runtime.

From: Miles Thomas <thomasm_at_"at".logica."dot".com>
Date: 1997/05/15

Selvamani <schetti_at_mail.arco.com> wrote in article <337A421E.584E_at_mail.arco.com>...
> Is there any thing called D2000 runtime. If not, is it possible to
> install D2000 on Network and just update the Registry or .ini file for
> individual machines. Or, is there a kind of list of files which can be
> deleted after D2000 is installed to reduce the disk space usage on
> individual machines.
>
> 1. I am using D2000 V1.3 for Windows95/NT. I have used D2000 V1.2
> also. But, I have never seen Runtime options with Oracle installer.
>
> 2. I have currently installed D2000 V1.3 on NT server from my PC. Now,
> all the registry entries are made to my PC and DLL's are copied to my
> windows directory. My machine works fine.
>
> If I need to run D2000 from another machine, I have to enter all the
> registry entries through regedit in that machine manually (First I
> should know what entries to make) and copy the required DLL's. I want to
> know if there are any tools provided by Oracle which just creates the
> registry entries and copies the required .DLL files.
>
> I am trying to solve two problems from this. (1) Install D2000 in
> server and with minimum effort on client I should be able to run D2000.
> (2) Install only runtime on Laptop which is not connected to network.
> To save hard disk space.

I've had the same problem, in the past.

There are 4 possible solutions:

  1. Oracle Client Software Manager, which can be used to push images to clients. I think that you can set it up to keep stuff on a network drive. It comes on the D2K 1.3 disk. Alas, if you need the Oracle ODBC driver, you cannot use this method, either to distribute the driver or install it seperately afterwards. Click on all the + signs in the available products windows, and install Forms (And/or Reports And/or Graphics) Runtime, plus SQL*Net and whatever else you need. The installer will automatically install all dependant products. I would also include any item marked required support files, since 3rd party products often use these, and they small and a bit of a pain to add afterwards.
  2. It is possible to install the software to a network drive; just repeat for each machine. If you copy the CD-ROM to a disk drive first, and then edit the (win, nt, win95).prd file, you can have certain products made visible and/or preselected, which speeds things up. The file is straight ascii, CSV. [Oracle support suggested this to me; proviso: any bugs encountered must be replicable on a machine with proper installation off the CD.] [Aside: (win, nt, win95).rgs tells you whats installed on a machine. Again its ASCII, CSV]
  3. On Win 3.11, the release notes tell you which files are copied to the windows system directory. Just add ORACLE.INI, and an [Oracle] key to WIN.INI, and thats the job done. You can check the system files installed by rummaging around in the installation scripts for each product that you install; each product has a file list (in ascii, again) complete with pathnames which include %WIN% and %WINSYS%. You can do (some of) the same on Win95/NT, but its finding out the registry changes thats a bit more difficult. Again, rummaging in the installation scripts may help (the're all ascii files), since there may be a REG file or a list of keys modified/added to for each product.
  4. Apparently, the NT/Win95 versions of D2K come with instructions and tools to customise the installation scripts, so say Oracle. If not on the D2K disk, then they are available seperately. You can include your own applications, too. I can't vouch for this, however; they are not available for Win3.11 D2K, which is what I am using.

Hope that helps.

--
Miles Thomas
Logica UK Ltd