Re: Moving an Instance

From: Rich Bernat <rber_at_chevron.com>
Date: 1997/05/15

[Quoted] Sheilah Scheurich wrote:
> snip

> I think that if you are going to do this, you would be better off
> creating a new database with the same tablespaces, and importing in.
> In essence this is what you are doing. Just for curiosity, what are
> the technical reasons for doing this with links rather than with
> export/import? While slow, it can be performed overnight or over the
> weekend without intervention. This way you can be sure you are getting
> all of the objects. Be sure to have the users already in place
> otherwise the grants will fail.
>
> -Sheilah Scheurich
> DBA
> scheuric_at_sprynet.com
> >I agree with Sheilah

I've been moving several of our databases and I do the following:

	1.export objects by user (no data)
	2.run some sqlcode to capture roles and users and public objects
(synonyms)
	3. Import the objects in the new database.
	4. after some testing in the new database I do a final data only
export by user
	5. Import by user
	6. Validate connections and functionality on new database on e
last time
	7. Celebrate!

Hope this helps.

--