Only read-only access to Oracle via ODBC and Access

From: Gerold Krommer <gkrommer_at_fns.co.at>
Date: 1997/05/14

[Quoted] I'm sure I'm just doing something stupid.

I try to access ( and modify ) rows in an Oracle database with ODBC. I can access it from odbctst.exe, MS-Query and a home grown VB app alright ( meaning I can read, insert, update ). It is only MS-Access which is giving me some headache.

I can read the tables in Access but Access wouldn't allow me any updates. The corresponding menu entry ( 'allow update' ) is grayed ( or greyed, depending where you live ) out and whatever I tried it insists on read-only mode.

The username I use for oracle has all privs as I can update tables with MS_Query using that account.

I'm stumped.

Thanks for any input,

/gerold

PS: Access 2.0, ODBC 1.1, Oracle 7.1

PPS: While I'm at it : I posted the follwing in the word newsgroup but got no answer. I'm trying to access a oracle table from word using the wbodbc.dll from the word SDK ( word 6.0 ) and get a hang in SQLOpen. The ODBC driver would correctly ask me for user/pwd and then hang. Anyone any idea ? Received on Wed May 14 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message