Re: Moving an Instance

From: Sheilah Scheurich <scheuric_at_sprynet.com>
Date: 1997/05/14

On 9 May 1997 13:41:30 GMT, "Carlos A. Gonzalez" <Carlos_A_gonzalez_at_us.dell.com> wrote:

>Please comments on approach C) will be appreciated.
>

>C) Create a Database in the new host, establish a link to the old instance.
> and copy all the tables using something like:
>
> CREATE DATABASE LINK dblink
> CONNECT TO user IDENTIFIED BY password USING 'connect_string';
>
> CREATE TABLE new_table
> TABLESPACE tablespace
> AS SELECT * FROM old_table_at_dblink
>
> Advantages: Can't see any.
> Disavantages:1. You will have to know or otherwise somehow identify each of the tables.

		 2. You will have to know all the schemas
		 3. You will lose synonyms
		 4. Placement of each table will have to be determined

[Quoted] [Quoted] I think that if you are going to do this, you would be better off creating a new database with the same tablespaces, and importing in. In essence this is what you are doing. Just for curiosity, what are the technical reasons for doing this with links rather than with export/import? While slow, it can be performed overnight or over the weekend without intervention. This way you can be sure you are getting all of the objects. Be sure to have the users already in place otherwise the grants will fail.

-Sheilah Scheurich
DBA
scheuric_at_sprynet.com