Re: Forms4.5, preserving blanks

From: Alex Heney <heneya_at_entcf3.agw.co.bt.uk>
Date: 1997/05/13

David Kao wrote:

> I am developing a forms module to maintain a simple table, One of
 the
> column is REQUIRED and I like to enter SPACEs into this column, but
 Forms
> always consider the SPACEs I entered as NULL. Is there anyway I can
 tell
> Forms NOT TO RTRIM data items?

This can be done, by using FM on the front of the format_mask property. However, this makes it very hard to type into the field, as it will always befilled with spaces when first displayed, and these have to be deleted before any other characters can be typed.

It is not a very good idea to use spaces in a required field anyhow, because ther is no visible difference between NULL and spaces, so the user would not be able to tell. If a field must have a value, then that value should not normally be allowed to be all spaces.

--
The above posting represents the personal opinions of the author and
is not to be taken as official (or unofficial) policy or opinions of

Alex Heney, Living in the Global Village.