STANFORD UNIVERSITY JAVA SURVEY - Please Fill Out

From: Sajal K. Srivastava <srivasta_at_rescomp.Stanford.EDU>
Date: 1997/05/12

JAVA AND JAVA DEVELOPMENT TOOLS SURVEY

Dear JAVA User:

        As part of a Research Project being conducted in the Department of Engineering Economic Systems in the School of Engineering at Stanford University on JAVA and the JAVA Development Tools market, we have prepared this survey to address the growing concern among JAVA Developers of the lack of mature Tools and Integrated Development Environments.

        By communicating directly with the developer community, we hope to analyze Java's potential to emerge as a standard development platform, gauge the progress made in development tools as well as elicit the limitations of current development tools.

        We ask that you fill out as much of the survey as possible and return your results either via email to Sajal.Srivastava_at_stanford.edu (or respond to this post) or via snail mail to P.O. Box 12105, Stanford, CA 94309.

        Thank you for your participation. If you would like a copy of the results of this survey please include your contact information in the space provided at the end of the survey.

I. USES OF JAVA

  1. For what purposes are you currently using JAVA? Are you using ActiveX?
  2. Are you writing applets or full applications?
  3. If you are writing applications, are they distributed or multi-tiered?
  4. Is security critical to your applications? Are you satisfied with current security measures provided by JAVA?

DEVELOPMENT TOOL FEATURES

  1. What Software Development Tools do you use? (JDK, J++, Cafe, etc)
  2. Please evaluate the Tools you currently use, both positively and negatively.
  3. What feature/s would you like to see in your Development Tools that is/are currently missing?
  4. How often do you use Customer/Product Support (seldom, periodically, frequently)?
  5. When you have a problem do you rely on online help, product support, or application support?

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

Contact Information:

Name:

Address:

Email:

Phone:

Position:

Sajal K. Srivastava
Engineering Economic Systems and Operations Research Sajal.Srivastava_at_stanford.edu
srivasta_at_stanford.edu
(415) 497-5458 Received on Mon May 12 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message