Moving an Instance

From: Carlos A. Gonzalez <Carlos_A_gonzalez_at_us.dell.com>
Date: 1997/05/09

Dear Oracle Gurus:

I need some help

I am in the process of moving an Oracle instance from one host to another

I have identified the following ways to do such operation:

  1. Export the whole database in the old host, create the database and corresponding tablespaces in the new host and then do the import.

   Advantages: Optimize space usage (Compress parameter)    Disavantages: Too slow

B) FTP the data files to the new host, copy the data files to the corresponding

   directories, edit the Control File and startup the instance.

   Advantages: Faster to do
   Disavantages: No way to optimize the old database.

Our resident ORACLE Guru insists in doing it the following way, which I am kind of resisting
beacuse besides the fact you have to identify every user/table, triggers and stored procedures
will require special handling plus the fact that you may overlook some special tables, views,
what not....

[Quoted] Please comments on approach C) will be appreciated.

C) Create a Database in the new host, establish a link to the old instance.

   and copy all the tables using something like:

   CREATE DATABASE LINK dblink
   CONNECT TO user IDENTIFIED BY password USING 'connect_string';

   CREATE TABLE new_table
   TABLESPACE tablespace
   AS SELECT * FROM old_table_at_dblink

   Advantages: Please comment
   Disavantages: Please comment Received on Fri May 09 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message