List of values problem in Designer/2000

From: Nasier <nf_at_isis.co.za>
Date: 1997/05/09

I am currently designing a system using Designer/2000, which has a large number of lists. These lists are not static and will be maintained by the user. I don’t want to create a separate entity/table and maintenance procedure for each list for a number of reasons.

  1. The lists are all single valued and do not really represent a separate entity which is related to the attribute - the merely restrict the value of the attribute.
  2. It would be much easier to maintain a single table containing all list values than to have a maintenance procedure for each list.

My original idea was to create a list table as follows: LISTNAME Varchar2(50)
LISTVALUE Varchar2(50)
where the listnames would be created at design time. If a particular field e.g. VISIT_TYPE had a list, I would then : SELECT listvalue FROM lists WHERE listname=’VISIT_TYPE’ and create the LOV. This is easily done in Developer/2000, but in Designer/2000 there must be a foreign key relationship to implement a LOV. This implies that both LISTNAME and LISTVALUE (together they form the primary key) will be fields in each table which references the list!

I also tried using domains and soft LOV, which creates the lookup table CG_REF_CODES - the problem here is that a value must be supplied in the domain in order for this to work!

I would be very interested to hear of any other possible workarounds to this problem.

Thank you.

Nasier. Received on Fri May 09 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message