Re: Oracle+ODBC+VB4: Cannot access objects from other users

From: Steve McDaniels <steve.mcdaniels_at_sierra.com>
Date: 1997/05/09

Try creating another another ODBC connection string.

My tnsnames entry is ORACLEHP
but in my ODBC Admin, I have an entry for

  1. RAWDATA which uses the tnsname oraclehp
  2. WEBUSER which uses the same oraclehp
  3. RETUSER which uses the same oraclehp etc.

I read somewhere (microsoft kb) that Microsoft name resolution for ODBC connections "assumes" that all connections with the same ODBC connection NAME are using the same userid, password, etc. and that this was known in version 1.1 of MS-Access and has persisted ever since and that they (microsoft) had no intention of fixing it.

Where this does work for me (most of the time), I do have some instances, particularly with synonyms, where it doesn't.

good luck.

Dinis Paes <dmp_at_elefante.fe.up.pt> wrote in article <33724213.59E2_at_elefante.fe.up.pt>...