Re: Reports2.5 : printing to a file

From: Shawn Odekirk <shawno_at_erudite.com>
Date: 1997/05/08

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone tried to print the reports output to a file? I tried to do
> this by running a previewer and then printing to a file when I get the
> print box, but when I do I get a file with a weird file extension. I am
> trying to print in Acrobat format. Anybody?

If I'm not mistaken, when you print to a file from the report previewer you are going to get a file containing the printer command needed to generate the document.
For example, I have an HP LaserJet 4 set as my default printer. I view a report in the previewer, click on print, and send the output to a file. What I will get is a file that contains the HP LaserJet 4 commands to create the document. I can copy the file directly to my printer and get the document, but if I open it in a text editor it will be filled with printer commands. If my report is set up as an ASCII report and I am using the ASCII driver, then I can print to a file and have a normal text file of the report that I can edit in a text editor, re-print, etc. In order to generate an Acrobat format file I would imagine that you would need an Acrobat printer driver that you would print to and it would save out Acrobat files.

If anyone knows otherwise please correct me.

Shawn Received on Thu May 08 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message