Re: "Thou shalt use 'Shutdown Abort' whenever you shutdown the database." Makes sense?

From: Ed Jennings <jenningse_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 1997/05/08

Steve Phelan wrote:

> > yes, I fully agree, shutdown normal is useless, shutdown immediate
> > is not
> > reliable... shutdown abort is the only option that does the job...
> >
> > --
> > **************************************************************************
> >
> > Nilo Segura Chinchilla * e-mail
> > nilo.segura_at_cern.ch
> > Computing and Network Division *
> > nilo_at_sundb02.cern.ch
> > European Laboratory for Particle Physics * phone +41 +22 7674943
> > Geneva - Switzerland *
> >
> > "I am the one who steps from the shadows" - John Constantine
> > **************************************************************************
> >
> > --
> > **************************************************************************
> >
> > Nilo Segura Chinchilla * e-mail
> > nilo.segura_at_cern.ch
> > Computing and Network Division *
> > nilo_at_sundb02.cern.ch
> > European Laboratory for Particle Physics * phone +41 +22 7674943
>
> Sorry, I have to disagree here... :-)
>
> We have a shell script which fires of every night without problem to
> perform our cold backups: It checks for connected Oracle sessions first,
> and kills off (with the *UNIX kill* command, and *not an Oracle kill
> session command*) any sessions it finds; it then pauses for 60 seconds,
> then performs a shutdown immediate. This script has worked fine for 4
> years on two different sites, both of which were UNIX based (HP-UX and
> AIX).
>
> Steve Phelan.

[Quoted] This is the path I chose to go down 2 years ago. Unfortunately I found it to be unreliable. At the time, I was using 7.1.6 on an NCR platform. On average, twice a month all of the shadow tasks were killed, but one oracle process failed to die off. Since the backups were in a shell script that waited for a return from the shutdown command, they never ran. A TAR was opened, but the issue was never resolved. I resorted to a shutdown abort. I'm curious if you ever ran into this situation. I'm now on 7.3.2.3, but have never tried to go back to the old way of doing things.

Ed Jennings

--
jenningse_at_mindspring.com