Re: SQL Menu 5.0 question

From: Miles Thomas <thomasm_at_"at".logica."dot".com>
Date: 1997/05/07

fluna_at_ssofa.com wrote in article <862941484.16343_at_dejanews.com>...
> We are using SQL*Menu v5.0 in FULLSCREEN mode and I would like to know
> if it is possible to have the displayed menu options modified
 dynamically.
> The idea is to have a procedure called at the time the Menu starts up and
> have it determine if the user prefers a specific language. If, for
> example, the user prefers Spanish, I'd like to have SQL*Menu display the
> menu options in that language (via this procedure, which would return the
> proper string in that language).
>
> In short, I guess what I'm saying is, can you have the "item text"
 changed
> on the fly, or is it more like the hint text in SQL*Forms; (i.e.:
 static).

> Thanks...
>
> Fernando Luna
> SSA - Seattle, WA

Its static.

However, you can include multiple languages within the menus, and have a menu role for each language. You will need a front-end application (not menus, I think) to assign the correct roles to the user in the MENU_V tables on startup. The role assignment is read once at menu startup, and never again.

I have used this technique before to allow user-customisable menus. It works well, except that the menus take longer to start if there are lots of entries in the MENU_V tables for a user (logical, really..)

--
Miles Thomas
Logica UK Ltd