Re: "Thou shalt use 'Shutdown Abort' whenever you shutdown the database." Makes sense?

From: Steve Phelan <stevep_at_pmcgettigan.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/05/07

> yes, I fully agree, shutdown normal is useless, shutdown immediate
> is not
> reliable... shutdown abort is the only option that does the job...
>
> --
>
> Nilo Segura Chinchilla * e-mail
> nilo.segura_at_cern.ch
> Computing and Network Division *
> nilo_at_sundb02.cern.ch
> European Laboratory for Particle Physics * phone +41 +22 7674943
> Geneva - Switzerland *
>
> "I am the one who steps from the shadows" - John Constantine
>
> --
>
> Nilo Segura Chinchilla * e-mail
> nilo.segura_at_cern.ch
> Computing and Network Division *
> nilo_at_sundb02.cern.ch
> European Laboratory for Particle Physics * phone +41 +22 7674943

[Quoted]  Sorry, I have to disagree here... :-)

[Quoted] We have a shell script which fires of every night without problem to perform our cold backups: It checks for connected Oracle sessions first, and kills off (with the *UNIX kill* command, and *not an Oracle kill session command*) any sessions it finds; it then pauses for 60 seconds, then performs a shutdown immediate. This script has worked fine for 4 years on two different sites, both of which were UNIX based (HP-UX and AIX). Steve Phelan. Received on Wed May 07 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message