Re: Regular Expressions in PL/SQL?

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/05/05

On Sun, 04 May 1997 15:49:50 -0400, Joe O'Connor <joe_at_exit109.com> wrote:

>Thomas,
>
>I assume OWS is the Oracle Web Server. (Correct?)

Yes, sorry bout that, should have been more clear.

>What does the Web Server have to do with stored procedures that will
>exist as object in a db that is somewhere elese on the network?

The Oracle Web Server supplies the Oracle Web Agent which is a method of using PL/SQL to generate HTML from the database. The web agent allows pl/sql to act like a CGI-BIN script, accepting inputs and generating the outputs. Since so many people where using regular expressions to parse and validate inputs, they added this pl/sql package to the set of utilities. The OWA_PATTERN package is simply some pl/sql code they wrote up to implement regular expressions in the database. OWA_PATTERN is sort of like some of the various DBMS_* packages in the database. utilities written in pl/sql.

>Can I make use of the owa_pattern package without using the Oracle Web
>Server?

OWA_PATTERN does not require the Oracle webserver to be running or anything, nor does it require that you call it from a web agent routine. It requires the owa_text package but that is just more pl/sql and is in the OWS2.x distribution as well.

>Any assistance will be appreciated.
>
>Thanx
>-- Joe
>
>Thomas Kyte wrote:
>
>> If you have access to OWS2.x (you can download a trial from
>> www.oracle.com) there is a package called owa_pattern which provides
>>
>> rudimentary support for regular expressions.

[snip]

>Joe O'Connor
>Lucent Technologies
>jpoconnor_at_lucent.com

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Bethesda MD

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Mon May 05 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message