ODBC & Personal Oracle NT setup difficulties

From: RWILTSHI <rwiltshi_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/05/03

I have been trying to get the odbc connection on a nt 4.0 workstation working.
I would like to make windows nt application (paradox,access) query a personal oracle database on my workstation.

I am trying to use the 32 bit drivers that came with the product. I also downloaded the support tool from Oracle.

Originaly, I was using a connect string like t:aliastoracle:ORCL But, oracle seemed to interpret this setup string as an Sql*Net V1 setup string

  • even though I had Sql*Net V2 installed So, I got an error message like : oci interface : no driver

Using a setup string like "aliastooracle" seemed to help a little bit. But, the ODBC support product returns a message - no listener TNSping doesnt work when I go to the ms-dos prompt.

Am I supposed to have some kind of listener started/and or running?

Could someone who has odbc running show me the precise contents of the three .ora files -- listener.ora, tnsnames.ora, and the other one.

Under settings,control panel,services
  what services should be running?

Any help/advice would be appreciated
Rwiltshi_at_aol.com Received on Sat May 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message