Oracle Web Server & Reports

From: Edward G. Finkle <edfinkle_at_ct2.nai.net>
Date: 1997/05/03

I'm brand new to Oracle's set of products, so forgive me if I ask some stupid questions.

We're in the process of installing Oracle Financials PROD16, Oracle Web Server 2.1, and Oracle Applications for the Web. Some of our developers have already developed reports for the client/server side using Developer 2000. Since Developer 2000 allows you to also generate HTML reports, we would like to take advantage of this. However, it's not clear how we're going to make the information generated by these reports available to the Web Server to serve up and send back to the requesting browser.

Here's a few questions I have; hopefully someone will be able to answer them:

  1. When you tell Developer 2000 to generate a report in HTML, does this create an executable object that then needs to be identified to the Oracle Web Request Broker?
  2. Will security be handled by the WRB? Users will be prompted for a userid/password?
  3. The development keep referring to the fact the report object generated by Developer 2000 must be run at the Unix command prompt, therefore, it's not clear how the WRB is going grab the output from standard out and return to the requesting browser.

Is there a web site or another set of documentation that would provide a clear explanation as to how this works?

Ed Received on Sat May 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message