Re: Designer/2000 Questions

From: Jacek Dobosz <jdob_at_ping.at>
Date: 1997/05/02

On Wed, 30 Apr 1997 07:55:14 -0600, Nathan Secrist <nsecrist_at_evolving.com> wrote:

>Everyone:
>

>I have a few Designer/2000 questions for you:
>

>1. I want to create alter table scripts when I make a
> change to an existing table structure. When I use
> the 'Generate SQL DDL' utility, it always wants to create
> the table from scratch, rather than creating an alter
> script. In the Database Design Wizard I see an options
> screen where it gives me the ability to choose Create or
> Alter, but how do I actually generate the DDL for an
> alter script. Could someone walk me through this process?

Use reconcile utility with alter database option ( in RON menu utility->reconcile ). This utility generates the file cdrk55.sql which contains alter table statements.

>2. Is there a way to do mass updates to the D/2000 repository
> tables using SQL to do repetitive tasks?

PL/SQL Script using Repository API and Meta-Model views ( CI_XXX ) can do most repetitive tasks. For guideline how to do it look at the example and API reference in the online help of des2k.

>3. How do I create different versions of the DDL. In other words
> I make significant changes to the tables, generate the DDL and
> create new tables. I want to say that what I have created is
> Version 3 of the database. Is there a way to 'save' a version of
> the DDL, similar to doing a software build?

You can use different schemas i.e. appl_1_0, appl_1_1, appl_1_2, ... to create new versions of your objects in the database and use synonyms to hide it real full names, so the application is not aware of it.

>4. Overall understanding of D/2000. How is the best way to learn
> the functionality of D/2000. I guess you can never learn
> 'all' the functionality, but we are only using D/2000 to manage
> our database schema. The Oracle documentation is very weak in
> my opinion - I think they expect you to spend $3000 going to all
> their training courses. I bought the 'Designer/2000 Handbook' by
> Oracle Press, but it is more of a 'theory' type book, not a
> step-by-step walkthrough. What other books can you recommend,
> or other ways to learn the functionality.

In my opinion the best way to learn this stuff is to make a project with the experienced consultant who has already made all the development stages many times.

just my 2 cents

jacek Received on Fri May 02 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message