Re: Access-to-Oracle Question

From: Steve McDaniels <steve.mcdaniels_at_sierra.com>
Date: 1997/05/01

Having suffered this transition many times (Access data migration to Oracle) I've changed my approach when using Access. (We "expanded" to Oracle when we began to approach the 1-gig limits of Access).

  1. Since its a pain on Oracle when field names contain blanks, one has to convert the Access field names to use, say, underscores i.e. "[My Field]" --> "My_Field".
  2. You cannot append anything from Access to an Oracle table unless the destination table contains a primary key. Sometimes, finding a primary key to use from within an Access table is difficult. (The 1st pass works fine with Access' autonumber field type, but with, say, weekly imports, the autonumber can go astray.
  3. Before moving any "production" data to Oracle, without question, unconditionally, absolutely, positively, FIND AN ODBC DRIVER and test the crap out of it. (We've settled on INTERSOLVE's, but even it has problems which "they are working on..."

lotsa luck.

J. V. MORRIS <ovmorris_at_carol.net> wrote in article <01bc5058$d1e19fa0$0100007f_at_default>...