Re: FORMS4.5 DBMS_SQL

From: Steve Cosner <stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu>
Date: 1997/04/30

In article <01bc52e2$f76047e0$111740ca_at_hk.super.net.hk.super.net>, Reid Lai <reidlai_at_hk.super.net> wrote:

>Try the built-in package FORM_DDL of Form 4.5
>
>CG <christian.gregory_at_citicorp.com> wrote in article
><33615A27.5C23_at_citicorp.com>...
>> Does Forms support the use of dbms_sql in a procedure created in Forms ?
>>
>> many thanks
>>
>> chris

Forms_DDL will not return values from the database. As long as everything you are doing is one-way, Forms_DDL is ok.

But if you want data back from the database, and you don't know which tables you are working with at design time, then you have to use the DBMS_SQL package.

Unfortunately, Forms 4.5 uses PL/SQL version 1, which is unable to access variables available in a package procedure. In order to get around this limitation when using DBMS_SQL from Forms, I created several stored procedures (from SQL Plus) that call the DBMS_SQL procedures. These stored procedures can access all the features of the package procedures with no problem. Then from a form, I call the stored procedures.

Regards,
Steve Cosner

Try out QA, a dynamic data utility form. Quick display and update access to any table. http://members.aol.com/stevec5088 Received on Wed Apr 30 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message