Inverted master-detail relationships (Forms 4.0)

From: David GUYON MARTIN <chenet_at_ttm.thomson.fr>
Date: 1997/04/28

SQL*Forms 4.0.

         How can I define an inverted master-detail relationship ?

The normal MASTER is the block based on the table which contain the PRIMARY key,
the normal DETAIL is the block based on the table which contain the FOREIGN key.

  I need to reverse this built-in mecanism to define a more global master-detail relationship.

  The purpose of this relation:

  • From a record of a table A ,
  • through a 1-n / 1-n association ( => implemented with a table B ) ,
  • I want to get in a detail block the associated records of a table C .

     ___ 1-n 1-n ___
    | A | --(B)-- | C |

  • ---

We can easily define the following relationships:

          A     C		= two masters
           \   /
             B		= one detail, the association ( ridiculous )

But how can I easily (or quickly) define this relationships:

          A	= the master

          B	= A's detail, C's master ( hidden in the form )

          C	= the detail

				Thanks,
					David.