Re: Forms: How to let the user choose the 'order by'

From: Scott Dart <scott-dart_at_uiowa.edu>
Date: 1997/04/28

aut7b1p_at_sbs.de wrote in article <861719061.9962_at_dejanews.com>...
> I'm wondering that I can't find a way to make it possible to let the user
> change the order-by clause.
>
> I've tried to use a control-block, but the required triggers themes to be
> somewhat difficult;
> The second, I've tried to use LOV's, but I don't know how to fill the LOV
> at runtime with the required table-column-names or view-column-names.
> Third, I tried to let the user just click on the column, but this
 requires
> a lot of PL/SQL-programming, too (I've found just mouse-event triggers
> that I can use, the trigger must be at form-level... isn't there a thing
> like 'on-enter-tablecolumn' ?).
>
> I'm not a PL/SQL-novice, but Oracle Forms is new to me.
>
> Are there any code-examples, free librarys, good books (I've already read
> 'Oracle Developer / 2000 -Handbook from Oracle Press) or just ideas that
> can help ?

a very simple example can be done on a forms-level when-mouse-doubleclick trigger

declare

	loc varchar(50);
	blk varchar(50);

begin
loc := :system.current_item;
blk := :system.current_block;
set_block_property(blk,order_by, loc);
execute_query;
end;

when the user double-clicks on an item, the form re-sorts that block by that item.
Someone else posted a more elaborate solution that allowed people to build a custom order by clause with multiplt columns, which looks very good as well, certainly more flexible, but this is a simple, portable solution. Received on Mon Apr 28 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message