Re: Using DBMS_OUTPUT in ProC

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/04/25

You would begin with a call to dbms_output.enable, for example:   ...
  exec sql execute
  begin

     dbms_output.enable( 1000000 );
  end;
  end-exec;

You would then execute something that creates output in the dbms_output area using dbms_output.put_line. After it was done executing, you would call dbms_output.get_line(s). For example:

exec sql begin declare section;

	VARCHAR		line[256];
	int			status;

exec sql end declare section;
	for( ;; )
	{
		exec sql execute
		begin
			dbms_output.get_line( :line, :status );
		end;
		end-exec;
		if ( status ) break;
		printf( "%.*s\n", line.len, line.arr );
	}

This is pretty much what sql*plus/sqldba and svrmgrl do. There does exist an array interface to dbms_output.get_lines which would be more efficient for large 'results' from dbms_output....

On Thu, 24 Apr 1997 10:01:51 -0600, kent.primrose_at_dg19.cec.be wrote:

>In a ProC program I would like to get output from DBMS_OUTPUT. I have a
>DBMS_OUTPUT.ENABLE statement followed by a DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE
>statement. Everything compiles and runs fine, just no apparent output.
>
>I'm running in UNIX and have not re-directed STDOUT or STDERR. Any good
>ideas?
>
>Kent

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Bethesda MD

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Fri Apr 25 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message