Re: Conversion of Access SQL to Oracle 7.1 SQL

From: J. V. MORRIS <ovmorris_at_carol.net>
Date: 1997/04/24

Oracle used to have a product to do this--don't know if it's still available. Check www.oracle.com
I think it used to cost $600 to $800. You can make your own calculation as to when the loaded labor costs make this a worthwhile investment. In the future
1) Use the Access Query Builder a little more selectively. In particular, after you've got the basic query working correctly, switch to SQL View and clean up the joins to a more generic SQL format; then save the query. I'll pass on the chance to write a diatribe about how Access makes things a little too easy for us and how MS likes to invent proprietary standards. Suffice it to say you can do anything Access allows using standard SQL and PL/SQL (for Oracle) or Transact SQL for Sybase.
2) Time for a paradigm shift (love that phrase). Start thinking in terms of triggers and stored procedures and how you would write an Access program using these concepts. Then you'll start generating Access Basic event procedures that are much easier to transliterate into PL SQL. 3) As for string concatenation, haul the suckers into any text editor and do some global search and replace operations; that should handle most of them.

--

Regards
    Joseph V. Morris

finmods <finmods_at_vianet.net.au> wrote in article
<01bc4eff$d66065c0$cc230dcb_at_dell>...
>[snip]

> I am in the process of moving an application's tables from Access to
their
> mirrored counterparts in Oracle.
> The application will still be executed from within Access but will make
SQL