Re: Forms 4.5.7.1.2 .fmb vs .fmt

From: Steve Cosner <stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu>
Date: 1997/04/18

In article <861293662.13620_at_dejanews.com>, <squigley_at_sctcorp.com> wrote:
>In article <5j4rt7$dv7$1_at_orion-fddi.rz.uni-ulm.de>,
> walter.zimmer_at_rz.uni-ulm.de wrote:
>>
>> Hi !
>>
>> I have a form in .fmb format which uses 1,236,992 bytes of disc space.
>> If I convert it to .fmt and back again to .fmb, it only uses 413,696 bytes
>> which is a third !
>>
>> This seems very strange to me and I can think of two answers:
>>
>> - Oracle isn't very good in memory management
>> - The form isn't the same anymore, but I didn't notice anything wrong with it.
>>
>> Could anyone explain this behaviour ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Walter
>>
>> walter.zimmer_at_rz.uni-ulm.de
>> Forms 4.5.7.1.2 developer (Solaris)
>
>The difference is that the embedded pcode is discarded when you convert
>to fmt format and then back. The pcode is saved within the fmb in
>various ways, one of which is if you issue a compile or compile all
>command prior to saving the fmb. The pcode should not be saved in the
>fmb if you will be delivering your fmb's on various platforms since it is
>not portable.

It's not even useful in your existing environment. Notice how long it takes the Forms Designer to open the larger fmb file. It must be verifying all that "pcode". But then when you generate it, it's really quick.

On the other hand, the small fmb created from the fmt opens very quickly, but takes a long time to generate (only the first time). Forms Designer has to re-create all that pcode.

But I'd like to know this: If they verify everything when you open the form, what good is it to save it all to disk. All the wasted space is useless. I wish Oracle would do something to get rid of it.

Anybody...Please correct me if I am wrong.

Steve Cosner Received on Fri Apr 18 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message