Re: Oracle Terminal

From: Jonathan Sell <jsell_at_bio.ri.ccf.org>
Date: 1997/04/18

Thomas R Skinner wrote:

> All I can offer is sympathy - we went through the same process for
> vt100 under Solaris. Our problems were aggravated by
> 1) the original resource file supplied by Oracle was corrupt
> 2) we were unable to re-assign Menu or Help (hard coded values)
>
> All I can suggest is make small changes and save frequently. And when
> you get a core dump, abandon that version in favour of the last one
> that worked.
> Or acle support is helpful but not familiar with the product.

Thanks for the sympathy! It's nice to know it's not just me.

Oracle does supply a workaround with otgen23 which is not documented anywhere I could find other than a few lines of examples in the Dev2K IG. If you edit a PRN (from resprint23) and strip out all the binary resources, otgen seems to correctly rebuild them from the termdefs, bindings, etc. Not so for oraterm23 which, after "Generating" both sqlforms and tk2, results in a .RES file which Forms 4.5 can't use.

After 3 days of hacking I have a pretty good handle on how to workaround all the weirdness -- I even got my DEL key to do what I want.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

--

 ___   ___
|  #####  |    The Cleveland Clinic Foundation       FAX:
216-444-8023
			         "Do or do not.  There is no 'try'."
                                              -Yoda