Re: Dynamic SQL

From: Steve Cosner <stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu>
Date: 1997/04/16

In article <3352FDFA.5A0B_at_concentric.net>, Neil <NEILJ_at_concentric.net> wrote:
>Currently I'm in the process of designing a COBOL program to interface
>with an Oracle Database. I'm looking at simply retrieving the data from
>the tables via relatively simple SELECT statements. However, I was
>trying to compare the differences between static Embedded SQL statements
>and Dynamic SQL statements. From what I have read, I realize that
>Dynamic SQL provides open ended flexibility in the program that I am
>writing, however if I know all the possible queries that I can run, what
>benefit would I get from using Dynamic SQL. In addition, are there any
>performance issues that I should be aware of when comparing static
>Embedded SQL and Dynamic SQL.

[Quoted] Just use the static SQL, since you don't need the dynamic capabilities. I haven't compared the two methods, but the dynamic version could only be slower. And the coding to run the dynamic version would be more difficult. Why use it if it is not needed?

HTH
Steve Cosner Received on Wed Apr 16 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message