Re: is anyone alive ?

From: Steve Cosner <stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu>
Date: 1997/04/10

In article <3347daa8.12910121_at_news.ececs.uc.edu>,   teetshd_at_ucbeh.san.uc.edu wrote:

> On 3 Apr 1997 16:49:57 GMT, stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu (Steve Cosner)
> wrote:
>
> >If you are having serious problems with newsgroups, there is always
> >DejaNews.
>
> I'm not familiar with DejaNews. Would you please let me know what it
> is and what the advantages of using it are?
>
> Thanks
> Greg in Cincinnati

Deja News is a web site that archives all articles posted over the entire Usenet. If you have ever posted anything, you can find it there. Deja News web address is http://www.dejanews.com

Since the internet is so crowded, many times all messages do not reach all individuals. In fact, this article I am responding to never made it to my site--or if it did, I missed it. (BTW, always email your response to a post back to the author of the original post!) I found it via DejaNews, and am replying to it via DejaNews.

Here is a clip from one of their pages: ---begin quote--- WHAT IS DEJA NEWS? On the Web since May, 1995, Deja News is the first, and still the finest, Usenet search utility. What other search engines such as Lycos and Yahoo do for Web pages and sites, we do for Usenet, the largest discussion and electronic publishing forum in the world. Usenet is truly an unparalleled information resource, and Deja News gives you the tools to harness its power. ---end of quote---

If you want to search the comp.databases.oracle.* newsgroups, you create a query filter (which selects the thousands of articles that have been posted to the cdo* newsgroups), and then you can search those articles for words that might indicate the subject you want to see. In fact, before you post a question on a newsgroup, you might find your answer first by doing a DejaNews search. It works really well--try it out.

Regards,
Steve Cosner