Forms4.5 problem

From: Alan Campbell <alan_at_mullen.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/04/09

[Quoted] [Quoted] Can anyone advise me on how to get around a problem that I have encountered in [Quoted] Oracle forms 4.5.

[Quoted] [Quoted] I have a block that is based on a base table, which displays the contents of [Quoted] each record and allows the user to modify the details.

[Quoted] [Quoted] One of the fields (base table) is a status which is held as a character value [Quoted] ('00'-'07'), which has an associated meaning. eg.
'00' = Registered.
'07' = Closed.

I want the users to be able to modify this value without having to know what [Quoted] each value means.

What I have done is to overlay the status field with another field that is not [Quoted] based on a base table item (this field will contain the translation of the [Quoted] status), and created a LOV, that displays the translation of the status, the LOV [Quoted] also updates the contents of the base table field as well as the new field when the user selects a new status.
[Quoted] This works ok, but the new field is only ever populated when the user selects [Quoted] something from the LOV. What I wanted was for the new field to display the [Quoted] status when the form starts, so I created a WHEN-NEW-FORM-INSTANCE trigger and [Quoted] placed some code in it to populate the new field, based on the status value from the underlying table.
[Quoted] The problem is that the user is always prompted to save any changes to the form [Quoted] when they exit (COMMIT_FORM), when they have not made any changes. I am assuming this is because I have populated the new field on startup which has [Quoted] caused the form status to be set to changed.

Is there a way around this problem ?

TIA
Alan

---