Oracle Naming Conventions

From: Nathan Secrist <nsecrist_at_evolving.com>
Date: 1997/04/09

We are in the process of developing a set of Oracle naming conventions to follow and are interested to see what other groups/organizations have come up with.

I have used Yahoo and Alta Vista to search for these kinds of documents, but have not had any luck. All I can seem to find are general SQL standards.

I am not interested in SQL standards per se; I want to see Oracle naming conventions people have used in naming:

Tables/Columns
Primary Keys
Foreign Keys
Check Constraints
Triggers
Synonyms
Instances
Tablespaces
Data Files
Control Files
Rollback Segments
Redo Logs

Up to this point, we have tried to follow some kind of naming convention, but nothing is documented.

I helped develop some basic naming conventions for another software project I was involved in, but I am interested to see what naming conventions other DBAs have used.

Please reply back to the newsgroup and to me if you have any naming conventions documents that are not proprietary and can be shared on this newsgroup.

Thanks Alot

Nathan

Evolving Systems Inc.
nsecrist_at_evolving.com Received on Wed Apr 09 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message