Re: ORACLE's ODBC vs. Other ODBC Vendors

From: Greg Smith <gsmith_at_bdmtech.com>
Date: 1997/04/08

Jeff Ebert wrote:

> All I can say is that the Oracle Drivers released by Oracle are only
> ODBC Conformance Level 1 drivers. It's not a question of speed,
> but functionality. I tried to use the Oracle7 ODBC drivers with on an
> Oracle 7.3 database with Microsoft Access. No dice...
> Access checks the driver and says: Driver Not Compliant.
> Apparently, it needs some level 2 functions to operate.

I've done exactly what you tried using the ODBC drivers from Oracle. I installed SQLNet and ODBC from an Oracle for Workgroups (Win32) 7.3.x release CD and connected to an Oracle 7.3 RDBMS server via MS Accesss 7.0, Oracle ODBC Test, and the ODBC package for Perl-Win32.

Have had no problems under Win95, but have had problems with ODBC Test under WinNT4.0.

> We stuck with the Visigenic Drivers. They work good, are cheap,
> and we can purchase support if we need to.

However, Visigenic is also top quality.

Greg Received on Tue Apr 08 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message