Re: Legacy System to Oracle Conversion Advice Needed

From: Miguel A. Gonzalez <miguel_at_sigmais.com>
Date: 1997/04/06

On Sun, 06 Apr 1997 23:32:08 +0800, Michael Ho <infoage_at_hk.super.net> wrote:

>Miguel A. Gonzalez wrote:
>>
>> We currently have an Legacy system running on a IBM mainframe. The
>> application is mostly menus, data entry and a lot of data validation
>> checking. There is no GUI in this application just text mode and I
>> would still like to keep it that way after the conversion to oracle.
>>

>But anyway, why you want to do it this way.
>Normally people either choose to keep the old way or move to
>client/server.
>What's the benefit behind this ?

 We are moving it to a client/serve environment with oracle. The mainframe right now has a real high monthly maintenance cost so we want to migrate the application to a Sun Server connecting Wyse terminals to the server. These program is mostly used for POS systems but there is a lot of querying going on behing the scenes. Some customers are starting to enquire about having the server at their site, so if we go the SPARC route we can keep the server on site.

--Miguel Received on Sun Apr 06 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message