Re: Pro*C question

From: Bryan Dollery <Bryan_at_Bryan.prestel.co.uk>
Date: 1997/04/05

Hi,

I too had a problem with the size of Pro*C executables under AIX, as I was writting a sever which concurrently serviced hundreds of users. The problem was that I was using Cs 'fork()' command which replicates the running process. That process was over 2.5MB in size, and a hundred of them active simultaniously caused the box to crash.

I contacted ORACLE, and they gave me two pieces of information. The first was in the form of a detailed fax, which I am not about to type in here as it was a few pages long (phone Oracle for a copy). This gave details of how to use some shared libraries for a Pro*C application, and save about fifty percent of the exe' size. This worked, however it was still not enough.

The second piece of information was that Oracle 7.3.2 ships with a full set of shared libraries for Pro*C. This meant that although I still needed a 2.5MB exe', only 28KB of it wasn't shared. Much better.

I have not yeat had a chance to test the second piece of information, but as soon as out DBA manages to install 7.3.2 along side our 7.1.6 production database I'll get on the case.

Bryan

Bryan Dollery BSc(Hons)
ByteSmart Systems Ltd.