Re: Pro*C question

From: sonny hays-eberts <eberts_at_oregon.uoregon.edu>
Date: 1997/04/04

In article <33443631.0_at_news.usinternet.com>, ken_at_mn.csoft.com wrote:

> aramssb_svil <anpallotta_at_flashnet.it> wrote:
>
> >There is some way to obtain executable files of reasonable size ??
> >( less then the usual 2800000 bytes...)
>
> I'm fairly new to Oracle (Ingres shop, porting our stuff to Oracle).
> We've tried force-feeding the proc.mk file with a line containing
> "ORA_CLIENT_LIB= shared". The resulting executable file is MUCH
> smaller, but the program core-dumps every time when it tries to
> perform the connect (this is on an RS-6000, AIX 4.1). Attempts
> to determine the cause of the core-dump have been unsuccessful.
>
> >Where we can find complete information about makefiles??
>
> We're using it strictly for the "link" phase. If *anyone* knows
> how to make these executables smaller, please advise!

check your oracle user's guide for your system. our 'oracle7 for alpha axp openvms user's guide' has a chapter 2 - 'programmatic interfaces' with a subsection on linking.

it suggests using the shared_core_lib and shared_upi_lib symbols. additionally using the shared_sql_lib = "yes" and not linking vs. utilca is reputed to gain a shrinkage of up to 10-fold.

don't know how applicable this would be to aix, and for that matter, how well it works in openvms, since disk usage isn't our primary concern. but it may point you in a helpful direction.

-sonny Received on Fri Apr 04 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message