Re: export to ascii file

From: Scott Kelley <skelley_at_online.disney.com>
Date: 1997/04/02

Raul Sanchez wrote:

> I would like to know how or where I might find information on how
> to export a table to an ascii file in ORACLE (for example, in SYBASE
> --Raul

  The amount id misinformation and stupid suggestion to Raul is truly amazing. He is asking a relatively simple question and he get back a flurry of repsonses that range from partially correct (use SQL*PLUS with [Quoted] some set options), to stupid (use ODBC), to just plain wrong (use SQL*Loader).
  I reiterate: The answer is to use SQL*PLUS with the following options:

SET NEWPAGE 0
SET SPACE 0
SET LINESIZE 80
SET PAGESIZE 0
SET ECHO OFF
SET FEEDBACK OFF
SET HEADING OFF run your query (select * from table) and spool the results to a file. I agree LINESIZE may need adjustment depending on what you want to do with the file afterwords.
  This info is buried in the SQL*PLUS manual so it is not some big secret, although it is a bit tough to find.

--
	Scott Kelley (skelley_at_online.disney.com)
	Webmaster/Database Admistrator for Disney Online

/*I don't know what I'm talking about and neither does the Disney Co.*/

--
	Scott Kelley (skelley_at_online.disney.com)
	Webmaster/Database Admistrator for Disney Online
	voice: 818 623 3406  pager: 800 SKY 8888 pin #1140267

/*I don't know what I'm talking about and neither does the Disney Co.*/