Re: Database callbacks.

From: Lun Wing San (Oracle) <"Lun>
Date: 1997/03/31

Dan Shechter wrote:

> Back at where I work, we have a very strong need for callbacks (notices
> sent to out applications upon insertaion to tables from the server).
>
> Those applications are running om remote systems from the oracle server,
> which implies that some sort of network connection is required.
>
> What we've come up so far, was to use a trigger upon insertation on the
> required tables, which will run a stored procedure, that will use the
> PL/SQL UTL_FILE package which allows to write into operating system
> files (or named pipes for that matter).
>
> Meanwhile, we have a small daemon, trying to read from those files.

  You can use DBMS_PIPE to receive the message when an event occurs.

---
Name   : Lun Wing San (Certified Oracle Database Administrator)

Title  : Oracle Database Administrator and System Administrator of QRC
Phone  : (852)27885841

This posting represents the personal opinions of the author. It is not the
official opinion or policy of the author's employer. Warranty expired when you
opened this article and I will not be responsible for its contents or use.