Re: Database callbacks.

From: Mikhail Rezhepp <mrezhepp_at_best.com>
Date: 1997/03/30

Dan Shechter wrote:

> Back at where I work, we have a very strong need for callbacks (notices
> sent to out applications upon insertaion to tables from the server).
>
> Those applications are running om remote systems from the oracle server,
> which implies that some sort of network connection is required.
>
> What we've come up so far, was to use a trigger upon insertation on the
> required tables, which will run a stored procedure, that will use the
> PL/SQL UTL_FILE package which allows to write into operating system
> files (or named pipes for that matter).
>
> Meanwhile, we have a small daemon, trying to read from those files.
>
> When the daemon succeeds in reading, it parses the data read, and
> through TCP/IP inform the interested applications.
>
> Although this should work (OK, we haven't really tried it yet...),
> I was wandering if anybody had ever met the same problem with a better
> solution.
>
> Despratly awaiting.
> Dan.
Dan,
I think you might want to try another solution. I don't know what kind of database remote applications are using. If this is also Oracle than instead of the "daemonic" scheme you could use a database link, which will give you access via SQL*Net to a remote table (and you may have a trigger on that table too). If the remote application is running on some other DBMS then this approach has its benefit in that it uses SQL*Net to deal with all connection protocol issues. It means that you can connect your systems via not TCP/IP only but by other connection protocols too. Best regards,
Mikhail Rezhepp
mrezhepp_at_best.com Received on Sun Mar 30 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message