Web access (http)

From: Ronald Hatcher <ronh_at_oso.co.uk>
Date: 1997/03/26

I have the following requirement, and would appreciate any comments or assistance with my solution:

Requirements:

  1. to send SQL queries to one or more databases running either Oracle, Informix, or Ingres
  2. return results to the calling application as a single result set.

Solution:

  1. Send the query via sockets/http to the 'web enabled' version of the three databases.
  2. Receive results again via http.

Problems:

  1. Are all three of these databases 'Web Enabled'? 1a. If so, do the web modules cost extra?
  2. I don't want the result sets returned as html, just raw data will do.
  3. Do I need to write anty database specific code on each server? (one of the reasons I've chosen http, is to maintain one set of code for all three databases)

Any other problems?

Cheers,
Ron Received on Wed Mar 26 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message