Re: Migrating from RDB 4.2 to Oracle 7

From: Phil Cook <pcook_at_iamerica.net>
Date: 1997/03/25

Eric,

We have been working on a similar project and have experienced the following :

Oracle currently does not have a tool set to migrate from Rdb to Oracle7 server.

You can extract the Rdb database creation sql script by performing $rmu/extract and
then go down the script file line by line converting Rdb syntax to Oracle syntax and
then use this script to perform the Oracle database build.

We have used $rmu/unload to unload the data and then sql*loader to load into Oracle.
Beware on converting the Rdb char datatypes, rmu/unload pads out the full length even
if it is not used and Oracle will store those blanks using up space. Also, Oracle dates
will not store out to the precision of Rdb dates, 1/100 of a second. We have written
some creative select statements on the sql*loader scripts to handle these issues. We
have had to break out the Rdb date & time column into two separate Oracle columns.

A couple of alternatives would be to continue using Rdb and purchase Oracle's Rdb
gateway which would allow you to create Oracle tables with synonyms to the actual
data in Rdb tables. Also, there is a company in Richmond, Va which has developed
products to migrate from Rdb to Oracle, Database Solutions, 800-933-7668. We
did not use them, but they be able to provide some assistance.

Good luck,

Phil Cook

C. Eric Ladner <clad_at_chevron.com> wrote in article <3336F631.41C6_at_chevron.com>...